[rollei_list] Re: Wallace Heaton LTD, London decal on Automat

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:59:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:56 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Wallace Heaton LTD, London decal on Automat

I purchased a 1937 Rolleiflex Automat Model RF 111A some years ago off of eBay. When it arrived I was busy with other things and just put it into a closet without ever taking it out of its ever ready case. Today I stumbled across it and decided to clean it up a bit and try it out. When I took it out of the case I discovered a gold decal on the back pertaining to Wallace Heaton LTD, London. It would seem from just a cursory Google that Wallace Heaton was the 'B&H' of its day (and apparently still around though owned by Dixon) in Britain. The decal states that Heaton is "By Appointment To Her Majesty The Queen" suppliers of photograph equipment, etc.

What I find odd is that its by appointment to the Queen and not the King as the camera truly is from 1937. The only thing I can figure is that it was a used camera or new old stock sold after the war in the being of Queen Elizabeth's reign. Any one have any ideas as to this bit of arcana?

Rob L.

It appears that Elizabeth, the wife of king George VI was refered to as queen. So, it may be that the tag refers to her rather than the king. Although Elizebeth Lyon was considered a commoner whe was related to English and Scottish royalty.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA