[rollei_list] Re: WD-40, Liquid Wrench, and Car Maintenance

  • From: Gene Johnson <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:19:50 -0700

Aluminum aircraft are riveted because most high strength aluminum alloys like 2024 and 7075 are not weldable.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> wrote:

At 02:40 PM 5/7/2009, you Marc wrote, among other things:
Boeing shifted from rivets to welding, and so they became draft bait.

I would bet that Jerry will weigh in on this but I seem to recall some incidents within the past 10 years in which aircraft failures were caused by rivet holes initiating a fatigue crack which eventually caused the plane to come apart, in flight. I realize that there is a lot of composites in current fleets but I still see rivets on the planes I have flown in recently.

I can't visualize any welding on the thin places in aluminum skin.

As far as the Atlas is concerned, they were spot-welded, overlapping, throughout, but of course they were Stainless sheet.

Sorry Marc, no cars for sale here and no means to buy one since I am also long retired.

Take a look in our local want ads, could be something of interest to you there:

Start at  http://newsok.com/

I assume you have already exhausted autotrader-whatever and your local Craigs list. (I had super luck in selling things in La Jolla via Craigs list in 2007 as we prepared to return to Oklahoma). Of course, if you are following the news, you know that with Craigs list you may get more than you bargained for.

Back to your original topic. I really do remember that trick of tapping a rusted bolt or nut after letting it soak a while with liquid wrench. It actually seems to work.

I drive a 98 SL500 which has a lot of weird fasteners on it and am having a hard time getting the tools for them all back into one place since the move.

I am reminded, however, of another trick that works fine much of the time. This applies particularly to Phillips and Torx screws. Use the largest tool that will fit, turn it first in the tightening direction, then try to unscrew it. It actually works!

Then send me a private note explaining "BFH". The only thing I remember along those lines is that "If it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer." I think I just answered my question.

DAW