[rollei_list] Re: WAS: Re: Wedding Films...Now, My Hat's Off to You...

  • From: "dnygr" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:27:23 -0500

That is good advice. I'd go even so far as to advise against doing wedings and
Bar/Bat Mitzvahs.

I have done a lot of both for friends. Even if the equipment and people pose no
problems, the job takes a great deal of energy. They are exhausting.

If you do it for a living, you learn how to protect against disasters. It's
good to do some practice before you actually shoot one of these.

You need to know your equipment back and forth. You need to have backup. You
need to know how your film or digital works. You need to know what lab to use.

Shooting these events demands that you know what you are doing. You need to
know what to do if your pants rip during a shot. It happens, believe me. If you
think it out in advance, you can deal with it better.

I did a lot of photo journalism, which was good training. I knew my equipment.

Even if you've done it before and your know your equipment, but haven't done it
in a while, I think it's best to practice in advance.

I must admit, I won't do it anymore. I don't find the work that interesting and
I find the wear and tear on my body to be so great that I don't care to do it.

There are a lot of other things that demand my time.

Doug

From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Thu, 18 May 2006 10:47:07 -0400