[rollei_list] Re: Voigtländer (Rollei) VSL3 E repair

  • From: Hauke Fath <hauke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:39:50 +0100

At 10:24 Uhr -0300 23.1.2012, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>> to "Casa Schwarz" at Buenos Aires city... now I sent them the
>> Voigtländer VSL3 E and the two lenses...
>
>After several months in Casa Schwarz for a general CLA and electronic
>shutter repair (I commented it with more detail in a post I can't find
>now), I received bad news about it, the technician couldn't repair the
>shutter; an engineer overhauled it finally, he wrote a report saying
>the camera electronic shutter can't be repaired and replacement parts
>are no longer available,

Hi Carlos,

sorry to hear that. IMO, the SL35E (it was my second SLR, bought 30 years
ago) is a unique no-nonsense design, which rejected the creeping featurism
of many of its Japanese contemporaries, and concentrated on the important.

Its combination of a center-weight light metering with the three-stop
trigger (measure - store - expose) is something I haven't seen elsewhere.
It excelled in difficult lighting situations, giving me a high yield of
correctly-exposed slides.

Unlike the 2000/3003, the SL35E had the numbers on the market to actually
get feedback and improve. It's a pity it got caught up in the last days of
F&H.

The SL35E appears to have a uniquely bad reputation with repair guys. The
first shop I took mine to in the late eighties, after the shutter started
to flake out, said he wouldn't touch it, and recommended to sell it off as
far away as possible.

In Germany, Paepke might actually be able to fix it, but repair and
shipping cost will be prohibitive.

> I regret it beyond the money because the
>camera really looks in mint condition; some day perhaps I'll find an
>identical camera or a Rolleiflex SL35 E in a bad general condition but
>with a working shutter to "cannibalize" it.

That might be your best bet. Jan Böttcher, who used to be a list member, is
quite knowledgable about (among others) the SL35E. Maybe it is worth a try
to contact him for advice.

        hauke