[rollei_list] Re: Voigtlander Vito CLR (Off Topic)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:08:47 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger M. Wiser" <rwiser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:51 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Voigtlander Vito CLR (Off Topic)

I have a real nice Voigtlander Vito CLR with everything looking nice and / or working except the shutter leaves stick. Bob Shell advised me of this problem when I gave him the symptoms and he was correct and I did get it working at all speeds once but it sticks when not used for a couple hours.

The lens / shutter should be flushed with lighter fluid. I would like to get it professionally cleaned but the market value does not warrant that. Could anyone tell me how to take the shutter or lens apart so I can get at it?

I think it starts with loosening the set screws on the focusing ring.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

See if John Craig has a service manual for this camera. http://www.craigcamera.com

If you can get at the insides of the shutter a drop of lighter fluid on the slow speed regulator will probably fix the problem. I would not flush out the shutter unless you can remove it entirely from the camera. Be careful not to get residue on the shutter blades, they must be perfectly clean and dry (as should the iris diaphragm blades. If this is a Compur shutter the entire gear chain can be removed as a unit and cleaned and lubricated. You must have some method of measuring speed to adjust it after assembly. In nearly all Compur shutters the gear assembly can be moved a little and should be set so that 1/10th second is exactly on. The other speeds will fall in then.
Shutters are lubricated with very light, non gumming, oil. A suitable oil is available at hobby shops that specialize in model railroading. I use oil sold under the Lebell name, they make about three grades, you want the lightest. Use very little, apply it with the end of a paper clip to the trunions of the gears and to the palet.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx