[rollei_list] Re: Visualization/focal length aid?

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 15:36:25 -0700

I use it all of the time with both 4x5 and 6x6. It's the gray square in the bottom of the picture. But Summitek is out of business so you'll have to make your own. Jeff Kelly just did that so talk to him.

http://www.summitek.com/easel.html

:-)

Jim

On May 4, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Thor Legvold wrote:

I remember reading some years about a way to practice visualization and judging appropriate focal length.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it anywhere on the internet, and am sure someone here knows about it.

Basically, it involved using an empty slide mount, and a thread or string attached to the mount. The string was marked or knotted, but I don't remember exactly how (every 5 or 10cm?). You could hold the lide mount up and look through it, and when you get the composition you want, by looking at the thread you can see what focal length would give the same perspective.

Does anyone else know about this? Anyone use it, or recommend it?

Cheers,
Thor

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org