[rollei_list] Re: Verticals at edge of frame

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 20:05:56 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kirk Thompson" <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 3:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Verticals at edge of frame

I'm still not sure, Carlos, that I'm following you. Presumably you took the picture knowing you'd use a perspective crop on it, so there's no loss of information, other than resolution, from what was intended. Or alternately you mean that if you didn't have cropping in mind when you took the picture, cropping it later will leave something out – as is always the case. As Jeff said, you have to plan ahead and leave enough foreground (or enough sky above your church cross) for the crop. Anyhow here's an example. I tried half a dozen places in the alley before I got the framing I wanted. The image was taken so that after perspective crop, (a) the 'E' in 'Hope' would be included, along with its light standard; and (b) the diagonal wire at the left would make contact with a bit of building and not just wander off the left margin. The perspective crop has of course interpolated pixels at the top, and in that sense there's technically a loss of resolution, but with no visible effect. All intended information is included; nothing left out or lost. But back to the original post: the problem was probably just camera angle. As in this photograph, you get more perspective convergence if you shoot from the waist or chest. If you want a straightforward representation of architecture, it's best to use a prism and shoot from eye level, which will end up looking more natural to the viewer. (Or abandon Rollei for view camera or tilt-shift DSLR lens, but that's a whole different story.) It's interesting, though, that commercial photography and sometimes even architectural magazines don't always correct for perspective. We have a kind of secondary vision: the eye tricks us into seeing verticals when we walk around in the world, but people have become so accustomed to viewing wide-angle camera shots that they accept some convergence of verticals in photographs. The 'tippiness' becomes part of the dynamics of the composition.
Kirk
PS: In practice I often take out some vertical convergence in an image with Photoshop, but also leave some.
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:15:48 -0300
From: cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note that perspective "correction" is really trading one optical illusion for another. The effect appears to the eye partly because prints are viewed from the wrong distance (same as "wide angle" distortion) and partly because we mentally compensate for dimininshing perspective on verticals when actually viewing them. The same correction as produced in a computer image editor can be doen by tilting in an enlarger. However, the focal length of the projection lens must be correct, and, ideally, both negative and paper must be tilted. That creates a problem with the light source but the method does work with some care. The effect of correcting perspective in an existing photo never quite duplicates the effect of doing it in the camera, for instance the planes of focus can not be changed while in the camera they do change. Even in the camera the cropping is changed from what it would be if the camera were simply pointed at the object. If one knows that the image will be manipulated later some account of that can be made in the original framing. BTW, I've seen a lot of view camera images where the camera over-compensated for the verticals resulting in an image which actually becomes larger at its most distant points! Another BTW, there is a curious effect when looking at a panoramic picture, especially one taken with a rotating camera. When views with the image flat the surfaces, say of a building, appear to curve away from the viewer but, when viewed from the center of a curved print the image looks right. The image IS right, providing its viewed from the right place.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA