[rollei_list] Re: Verticals at edge of frame

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:24:11 -0800

I'm still not sure, Carlos, that I'm following you.  Presumably you took the
picture knowing you'd use a perspective crop on it, so there's no loss of
information, other than resolution, from what was intended.
Or alternately you mean that if you didn't have cropping in mind when you took
the picture, cropping it later will leave something out – as is always the
case.  As Jeff said, you have to plan ahead and leave enough foreground (or
enough sky above your church cross) for the crop.
Anyhow here's an example.  I tried half a dozen places in the alley before I
got the framing I wanted.  The image was taken so that after perspective crop,
(a) the 'E' in 'Hope' would be included, along with its light standard; and (b)
the diagonal wire at the left would make contact with a bit of building and not
just wander off the left margin.  The perspective crop has of course
interpolated pixels at the top, and in that sense there's technically a loss of
resolution, but with no visible effect.  All intended information is included;
nothing left out or lost.
But  back to the original post: the problem was probably just camera angle.  As
in this photograph, you get more perspective convergence if you shoot from the
waist or chest.  If you want a straightforward representation of architecture,
it's best to use a prism and shoot from eye level, which will end up looking
more natural to the viewer.  (Or abandon Rollei for view camera or tilt-shift
DSLR lens, but that's a whole different story.)
It's interesting, though, that commercial photography and sometimes even
architectural magazines don't always correct for perspective.  We have a kind
of secondary vision: the eye tricks us into seeing verticals when we walk
around in the world, but people have become so accustomed to viewing wide-angle
camera shots that they accept some convergence of verticals in photographs.
The 'tippiness' becomes part of the dynamics of the composition.
Kirk
PS: In practice I often take out some vertical convergence in an image with
Photoshop, but also leave some.