[rollei_list] Re: Verichrome OT

  • From: dwilli10@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 21:36:32 -0400 (EDT)

I must have missed some of the earlier posts, not sure how Verichrome Pan became a cornet. (I'm on a strange computer in San Diego, using web access for email back in Oklahoma)

Strange thing is that I am negotiating to sell my King Silvertone, circa 1947, back to the guy who runs the H.N. White website. No connection to the company other than he has permission to use that company name.

I got it out to play a while back and it was a total disaster. I had played it all through Jr. Hi, High School, and part of college where I played it in the Sugar Bowl. I just had to look up the fingering, one does forget things.

I can, however, still ride a bicycle.

DAW

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM, David Sadowski wrote:

Some years back, the Chicago History Museum had a cornet on display that was said to be Bix's.  This might be the one he gave to Jimmy McPartland, who replaced him in the Wolverines.  He died years ago but his widow Marian McPartland is still living and she might have donated it to the museum. I recall reading about a horn that was for sale a few years back that was supposed to have been Bird's... story was he pawned it and the guy got it from the pawn shop, along with documentation such as the pawn ticket.  I forget where this was.