[rollei_list] Re: Verichrome

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 15:35:15 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 8:29 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Verichrome

Awhile back, I bought a brick of Verichrome from John Lehman. (I tried to snag his last cache of it last month on eBay but got outbid). I've finally gotten around to shooting some of it, with
a Brownie Hawkeye, and posted the results over on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/5778974777/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/5792220908/

Being a Brownie, it's hard to say what the exposure value was -- probably close to box speed. I processed in 1:50 Rodinal for 13 minutes. The film seems to want more light but I got enough shadow detail for a printable negative. I'll get it nailed, just as I
run out of my stash of the stuff.

The pictures have something of the look of 1930s pictorialism. Partly, its the slight softness but also perhaps the pose and other factors. Not a criticism: some pictorialism was just kitch but the original was not. Box camera lenses are typically very simple and have few corrections. The lack of correction for spherical aberration is partly what gives them a sort of infinite depth of field but also a sort of soft blur typical of soft-focus leses; a soft image with a core sharp one. Mostly they are not chromatically corrected and relied on the film being insensitive to red light, most box camera film was orthochromatic. The original Verichrome was ortho film, replaced with Verichrome-Pan around 1960. I used a lot of V-P, mostly in Rolleis, it has a nice look. Mostly I processed it in D-76. Rodinal has good tonal qualities but, for me, is too grainy for smaller format so I used it mostly for sheet film. From the published data Plus-X roll film should have very similar tone rendition to V-P. Box cameras with simple meniscus lenses are typically f/11, sometimes f/16. Shutter speeds were intended to be around 1/50th but are often slower. 1/50th is about the slowest shutter speed for hand holding a camera without motion blur problems. The "Sunny 16" rule would indicate a film speed of around EI-25 to 50. Old box camera film was probably close to this but keep in mind that the ISO speed system carries over the criteria of the original Kodak Speed Method of giving the _ minimum _ exposure consistent with good shadow detail. The old Kodak research on which it is based showed that less exposure, even by a little, degraded the quality of the image while even several stops more exposure made little differenct in quality. Its always safe to increase exposure by a stop or so over that indicated by using the ISO speed. Rodinal also tends to reduce film speed a little compared to D-76. The difference is only about half to 3/4 stop, usually within the latitude of the film, but here again, increasing exposure a bit won't hurt. Another thing is that box cameras were usually designed to give minimal exposures under average lighting conditions since the sightly thin negatives would compensate somewhat for the lack of correction for spherical aberration especially when the film was developed to a fairly high gamma as was common practice in photo-finishing.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles