[rollei_list] Re: VSL3 E ...the fastest shutter speed

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:33:22 -0300

 CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
> ... It's
> interesting to note this model has 1/2000th second as fastest shutter
> speed despite it is not marked in the shutter speeds dial, it advances
> beyond 1/1000 and this is 1/2000, it appears like "plus" in the
> viewfinder after 1/1000 and works like any other shutter speed for the
> lightmeter; the identical "Vitoflex" production prototype (Rollei
> couldn't use this name for the camera due to the similarity with the
> Leica trademark "Visoflex") had the number 1/2000 in the dial (at
> least several units), but it was eliminated from the dial for the
> regular cameras due to " production reasons" (Prochnow), however it
> was not clear to me if the camera kept the 1/2000 shutter speed anyway
> and I now see it kept it...

I'm afraid I wrote too quick the paragraph above.I played with the
camera to get familiar with its operation and read the manual in
detail, the fastest shutter speed is 1/1000th sec and not 1/2000th sec
as I believed initially. The word "plus" in the viewfinder after
"1000" indicates incorrect exposure risk, if  shutter speeds LED and
"plus" LED blink together, you need to change the aperture. The
shutter speed dial does not have click stops between 16 sec and
1/1000th sec, it moves like a potentiometer, the dial advances beyond
1/1000 as I wrote, looking like it still has another shutter speed
before the stop and the shutter fires in this position, but it fires
at 1/1000. The shutter was prepared from the beginning to reach
1/2000th sec and several production prototypes units from the
"Vitoflex" series had this feature. I read again the Report 3 and
Prochnow is clear saying that in spite of the shutter capacity, the
fastest shutter speed was limited to 1/1000 (not only the number 2000
was eliminated in the dial)  due to "production reasons" for the
regular cameras, the Rolleiflex SL 35 E also has the same limit for
the shutter speed, 1/1000th sec. The shutter speeds dial has click
stops for the mechanical shutters speeds "X" (1/125), "B" and the
automatic mode "A". The SL 2000/2000F and 3003/3001 use the same
shutter and similar electronics to drive it, the difference is that
the 1/2000th shutter speed was connected again for these models like
for the VSL3 -E "Vitoflex" prototype.
The shutter release button has three positions, the first one to read
the lightmeter measurements, the second one to memorize the exposure
if necessary and the third one to release the shuter.