[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: Citroen French Official cars and de Gaulle's legend

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:59:59 +0100

Robert Meier a écrit :

On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Emmanuel Bigler wrote:

Colombey-les-deux-églises

Is that the Colombey featured in Du Cȏté de Chez Swann?

Robert, I do not think so for two reasons. The first reason is that place names in Proust's famous novels do not really correspond to true place names in France. One of the most famous places, Combray, has been identified to one or another real place like Illiers, but I'm sure that de Gaulles Colombey is not at all related to Proust's famous places. Colombey-les-deux-Églises is located east of Paris in département de Haute Marne, about 250 km south-east of Paris, between Dijon and Châlons-en-champagne.

Another true story about the Petit-Clamart attempt and de Gaulle's incompromising attitude regarding his private life. One of de Gaulle's collaborators asked him why he would not go to Colombey by helicopter. De Gaulle was very angry about this remark, for him, a private travel was private, and he was already granted a DS and driver for his private use, PERIOD.
For de Gaulle, the official helicopter was for official use only.

--
Emmanuel