[rollei_list] Two eyes/four eyes

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 23:21:42 +0200

For those of you who wear glasses,

my optician just updated my prescription and recommended that I use
“progressive” lenses. He says I should have a correction both for distance and
for close up (reading) due to astigmatism (my main problem is myopia).

However after talking with a few retailers while looking for a new pair of
glasses, one suggested that for photography (which is where I find it most
difficult lately, especially getting things in focus - with glasses doesn’t
work, and without is better, but not by much) I should have reading glasses,
using the “close range” prescription values for the entire glass, and use these
for photography, working in front of the computer, reading, etc. Then another
pair with progressive lenses for all around use, driving, walking, etc. They
said using progressives for taking pictures would be awkward and not a good
solution, especially when using something like a Rollei TLR.

What I wanted to know was what other bespectacled participants here have found,
and what works for you? Does having a pair with reading/close up prescription
help when taking pictures? Or would regular progressives be fine?

Thanks,
Thor