[rollei_list] Re: Twin Lens Reflex manufacturer????

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:16:16 -0300

2012/9/27 John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thank you Carlos, but I am going to disagree with you too ;-)
>
> The Minolta has a very bold name plate with a curved bottom; a silver ring
> to both taking and viewing lens; the lenses are too close together and the
> silver border to the sports finder is set further into the centre of the
> hood than in the photo of Pedro Guerrero.
>
> Although I am not convinced, when I looked through Rollei Report 1 yesterday
> and a possible solution may be the Rolleicord II third model on page 9-244 -
> PR 098...
>
> The lenses are quite far apart; the shutter is housed in a black cover; the
> F&H inscription between the lenses may appear as the narrow light marking in
> the photo; the viewfinder lens has no bayonet but the taking lens does and
> by close inspection of the photo, three protrusions are faintly visible
> around the taking lens. The Rolleicord name plate has a slight curve on the
> bottom and there may be a slight curve in the photo, although it does look
> straight. The sports finder outline is close to the edge of the hood.
>
> There are so many TLR cameras and with evolving modifications to each
> variant, it may be impossible to identify this camera from this low quality
> photo.
>
> I am guessing that the silver attachment on the side of the camera is a
> Synchronizer - Graflex or similar - for a handle mounted bulb flash.
>
> Any other suggestions? ;-)

John, after to write my previous opinion I enlarged the image and
realized I was wrong, the camera is not a Minoltaflex. Through the
enlargement I could see some detail for the ever ready case and there
is not doubt it is a pre '50s Rollei ERC; in fact the ERC flip shadow
confused me about the viewfinder cover external frame (or sports
finder) width, it looked wider than for the Rolleicord but it was only
the shadow. I agree with you, it really looks a Rolleicord II with
bayonet for the taking lens only, PR 098, it has a device for the
flash. The Pedro Guerrero and Frank Lloyd Wright photograph is from
1949 according the Guerrero's official website, the PR 098 model was
manufactured from 1938 to 1939.