[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus handheld redux

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:52:34 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob James" <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:04 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus handheld redux

Hello Richard,

Talking about B&W. I absolutely do want to learn how to do my own processing. Can it be done without a darkroom permanently set up? Do you recommend any books with this in mind?

Thanks,
Bob

The answer is _absolutely_. I don't know what books are currently available but there are a great many older ones. Kodak was a great source of accurate information, if you can find old Kodak publications, perhaps through Amazon, they are a good place to start. I think there is also information on the web. A permenant darkroom is a great convenience but far from a necessity. For B&W film processing you need very little equipment. For making enlargements you need some more. Film can be done anywhere because one can use a "chaning bag" to load developing tanks and the tanks are light tight. Running water is a great help but, again, not a necessity. For printing you need a space you can black out, but the ligh proofing can be of the sort that is removable. I use my kitchen as a darkroom. I live in a very small duplex so a temporary set-up is necessary. The only thing that stays in place is the enlarger and given different circumstances I could change that. Its been a while since I tried to put together a bibliography and can't do it from memory but I will do a little research and see what I come up with. I will say that old books, for the most part, are still valid and some are very helpful.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA