[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:29:11 -0300

2011/8/18 Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>:
> At 10:01 AM 8/18/2011, Alan wrote, in part:
> I remember something about a glass accessory plate for the Rollei.  Did that
> go in front of or behind the film?
>
> My recollection is that it went in front because I had some concerns about
> scratching the film.  Never saw one, though.

Most Rolleiflex TLR cameras (except the T) made from 1960 to 1966 were
prepared to receive a glass plate or "Planglass" to assure film
flatness when film was in the film plane position, the glass was
placed in front of the film and it required a dedicated camera back
with a third position for the film pressure plate. Some tests
demonstrated there was no significant or visible image quality
improvement even for big enlargements sizes, the glass use had
problems with dust and humidity and fingers marks recquiring often
cleaning and then Rollei no longer manufactured it from 1966.

The Rollei SL 66 "bible" advises -if possible- to advance the film
only a few seconds before to shoot the camera, this way the film paper
back has no time to modify the film flatness on the film plane. The
220 film has no paper back and then it avoids this problem. Some Carl
Zeiss tests showed a significant sharpness difference for 120 and 220
film (220 film was better) due to the 120 film paper back action on
the film strip.