[rollei_list] Re: Times Square in the frigid cold

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:11:30 -0500

Kodak has changed Tri-X. My bet is that there are members of the list who could tell us how many times it has changed, when, and what differences there are between the different generations of the film.

Doug

On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Elias Roustom wrote:

If the advertising is truthful then you want Adox Art 100
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/126112-Adox-CHS-100-Art-120-size? cat_id=403

I don't think current Tri-X is the same old-school film it used to be. By the way I see it for sale at Rite Aid pharmacies around here - isn't that odd?
I should buy a roll just to keep them carrying it.

Elias

On Jan 18, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Jeffrey L. Bromberger wrote:

Just came back from a three day/two night "stay-cation" in the Times Square part of town. Saw a couple of shows, visited some museums, etc. Let's not say just how cold it was up here - suffice it to say that it was brutal at
night.  And with the wind whipping around the buildings, well, brrr!

But on to a more interesting topic...

At the Times Square Information Center, there are several photographs taken at the glory of the period. No Disney, no porn palaces, just men in hats, women in skirts, etc. Possibly all lit by ambient sources, as no flash bulb
couls safely be *that* bright.

I've kinda got an itch to re-create some of that feel on film. I have a lightly used Speed Graphic with the Ektar 127 lens and a Kalart rangefinder on the side. I have not done any testing on the timings (either of the lens shutter or the rear curtain shutter), so let's for the sake of argument say
that they're close enough for government work.

The real question is this: what sort of film/developer should I use (and any other suggestions) if I want to capture the current Times Square so that the prints have the same feel as the older ones? Any particular f/stop I should angle for? I've never tried to emulate any other generation's look-n-feel,
so I'm open for any/all advise.

I suspect that I'll scan in the negatives before I go all gung-ho and break
out my enlarger again...

Again, I will take any suggestions you have!

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
jeffrey@xxxxxxxx

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org