[rollei_list] Thor's developing question

  • From: Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:14:37 +0000

On May 13, 2014, at 1:13 AM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

    The point of all this is that precise exposure is not
important for negative film provided its not to little.

I cannot say anything useful about the rest of Richard's
post but I concur with his takeaway.  So long as you get
enough light on Tri-X, you will get a printable negative.
At some point you will overwhelm the film to the point
that it loses its full range of greys but within the extremes
the film is forgiving.  I set my meter at 200, err on the
side of overexposure, and don't sweat the half-stops.

On another point:  I read somewhere that you (Thor)
will be souping in Rodinal in a Jobo tank.  Melanie does
just that with her Tri-X roll film and swears by it, though
she's using a 1:100 solution for 15 minutes with a pre-
rinse @ 68F.  I prefer HC-110 in the recipe I posted on
the other list, because the grain is more pronounced
when processing in Rodinal with constant agitation.
Melanie prefers the more prominent grain.  You might
too but be aware how the process will contribute to
how grain appears in the developed negatives.

Sanders McNew
www.flickr.com/sandersnyc<http://www.flickr.com/sandersnyc>