[rollei_list] Re: The old Xenotar

  • From: David Dodge <dannysoar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:36:04 -0500

I have a different take on the black out. I like a non returning SLR mirror. It makes clear, to me, the instant the picture was taken. It is the last thing you saw. The disadvantage is that you can't look through the camera without cocking the shutter. And that when the mirror is up the sun can burn a hole in the curtain.

I always thought that the digital camera companies in their endless quest for bells and whistles should add a black out feature.
David

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

From a physical-practical point of view perhaps you
are right, but several times the mirror movement uses
a time that exceeds the time to open and to shut the
shutter and  some SLRs have a system to up the mirror
before to open the shutter and to bring the mirror
down after the shutter is closed to diminish the
unavoidable mirror vibration effect on the picture;
however IMO and for my case I dislike very much the
fact I can't follow my subject all the time, I often
use 35mm SLR too and the fraction of second I'm blind
due to the mirror movement is horrible, suddenly
something is broken; in general the subject appears
different when you recover the light regarding the way
you saw this subject before to shoot. Using a TLR you
follow the subject all the time, you don't have the
bad surprise about the subject disappears suddenly,
the fact you know you can follow your subject all the
time gives you a security feeling about the
composition and the exact moment to release the
shutter, at least for my case.
BTW, this issue is less relevant for landscapes,still
life and studio situations, but it's relevant for
subjects in movement within their natural context.-

All the best
Carlos --- ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

I think
these snapshots are easier with a TLR (or a
rangefinder) because you can see the action in the
focusing screen all the time, no mirror movement
blinding the vision.-
Well now that's a little bit of an exageration. When
the mirror is blocking your vision it's not the time to be noticing anything you can react to anyway. Once you click, it's always in anticipation of the next 1/125th of a second, regardless of what you're shooting with. The view throughout the shot only tells what's happening during the shot, and there's nothing you can do about it,
same as an SLR.

There's much to be said for rangefinders and TLRs
(over SLRs), but that can't really be one of them, can it?

E.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging
into www.freelists.org

Correo Yahoo!
Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam ¡gratis! ¡Abrí tu cuenta ya! - http://correo.yahoo.com.ar