[rollei_list] Re: The little Rollei

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:58:36 -0400

Some of the most satisfactory pictures I have yet taken have been made with either a Rollei 35 or 35S. The 35S is now my glovebox camera, and a sweetheart it is. I carry a small Vivitar flash and generally use slide film in it. Quite a machine. Light, decent, reliable, and easy to use. I was pulled over a cliff one time by a dog I once owned, and bashed the 35S in so that it would not advance. I got the film out in a changing bag and Harry Fleenor banged out the dent, and the camera continues to work quite satisfactorily.

Estimating distance is a false monster to fear: it really is rather easy once you start doing it. It is kind of like changing film on a Leica TM camera: pull out the Swiss Army Knife, clip the film by guesstimate, and Bob's your uncle. Setting the range on a Rollei 35 is along the same lines.

By the way, the Tessar on the 35's is a killer of a lens. Yes, the Sonnar on the S and its kin is just a tad better, especially at f/2.8, but that Tessar is the finest Tessar I have used, and I have used and owned dozens of these guys. The Triotar isn't half-bad, either.

I do love the 35 family.  Great cameras, one and all.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!