[rollei_list] Re: The end of Kodachrome?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:27:37 -0600

At 04:39 AM 1/2/2011, you wrote:

Don,

I am afraid so. I had my last roll processed in October 2010. It was a precious Kodachrome 25 film exposed in the Zuiderzee town of Hindeloopen, Friesland. I used a Nikon F3 for the occasion and scared the hell out of some "digies" with the screaming MD4 motor.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/fwstutterheim/sets/72157625204565072/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/fwstutterheim/sets/72157625204565072/

Ferdi.
Drachten, Netherlands.

I don't recognize the town name but based on a Google search it must have existed when I lived in Voorhout in 1963.

I would suspect there are many new towns since 1963 if the Zuiderzee* reclamation has continued since that time. I have passed through the area a couple of times since then on business trips and notice that the airport is almost completely relocated. I remember that when we landed there in December of 1962 it was the coldest winter in 200 years. The airport radar was out for a while and when we got settled we saw that the North sea was frozen into ice blocks.

Nice pictures- got to unpack mine from those days and post a few.

Regards,

DAW

*I thought that was an obsolete name now that it is a lake. I do have one picture inside the monument at the midpoint of the dike. It shows workmen lifting those special stoned using their wooden shoes as lever points. My wooden shoes are long gone, but I do have a vivid recollection of a farmer who rode the bus to Leiden every Friday. His shoes were very colorful and shiny, like those the tourists bought. Also gone are our wooden skates.

About film, I had a 2.8C and used mostly Agfachrome, processing pre-paid. I would drop in a mail box in Leiden around 3 p.m. and it would go to Germany and be at my house in Voorhout the next day! Very vivid color, much more stable than Ektachrome which is all faded by now.