[rollei_list] Re: The Tragedy of the SL66, and gentlemens's agreement ?

  • From: Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:10:50 +0200 (CEST)

 From Carlos :

> ; according Prochnow there was a gentlemen agreement between
> Reinhold Heidecke and Victor Hasselblad when Heidecke visited
> Hasselblad in Göteborg, according this gentlemen agreement
> Hasselblad never would produce a TLR camera and Rollei never a SLR
> camera and then the Rollei SLR prototype never advanced during the
> '50s.

An "artist's view" of a famous 1955 meeting ;-)
With all respect due to the Father Founders ;-)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/463858414_785bb989df_o_d.jpg

And about the fact that the presence of Father Founders at the head of
a company can be good or not, Claus Prochnow mentions that he
considers that the sudden death of Paul Franke in 1950 was really
detrimental to the company in the sense that marketing and technical
decisions were not made by the same person. I can imagine how
difficult it was for a young technical or marketing engineer at
Rollei in the mi-fifties to propose somthing new and innovative that
would go against the ideas of Big Boss.

At Hasselblad, according to the Hasselblad official web site, Victor
H. sold his shares in 1976 and the company could go his own way
without referring too much to the ideas of the Father Founder. But
this occured only 2 years before V.H.'s death in 1978. So the
difference with Reinhold H. who died while still being the boss at
Rollei is not that significant, the main difference being that R.H.
belonged to another, older generation than V.H.

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>