[rollei_list] Re: The Tone of the List or the List of the Tone,

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 07:07:12 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 5:53 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: The Tone of the List or the List of the Tone,

Marc - I love this list and reading your stuff - when you get on a rant I just brew a cuppa and settle back - its like going on a journey, one never knows what emotions will be invoked or where you will be taken. So as Tom Lehrer sang in his song about the Supreme Court and pornography - "Don't let them take it away!" The tone of the list is 440 middle 'C' and just fine.

Rob

Well, to be picky, picky, picky, 440hz is A above middle C or middle A or consert A. There is a long history of tuning standards, 440 is actually fairly recent. In general, the frequency has risen over about two centuries. My understanding is that the Oboe voices the standard for the orchestra because it is the hardest instument to tune rather than the most accurate, everyone else adjusts to it. Another explanation is that the Oboe voice is very penetrating and can be heard easily over a group of instruments or audience noise.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx