[rollei_list] Re: The Rolleicord, with Xenar Schneider lens

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 12:13:26 -0400

My first TLR was also a Ciroflex, also in poor condition (did they ever come
any other way?) which during the mid 1950s I used to earn enough money for a
Rolleicord V.  That was with me until it got trashed in a caving trip for which
purpose it was very much not the right camera.  That was replaced by a Va that
I used all through my college years.  By then my skills had advanced enough for
me to discern it had an excellent Xenar lens, but when I sold it off did not
realize they didn’t all come that way.  Over decades a succession of ‘cords
came in and out of my hands, all with okay Xenars, but it wasn’t until the late
1980s that I found another standout Xenar, this time on an MX-EVS 'flex.
Suffice it to say I still have that one.

Of all my ‘cords, however, I must say my favorite for handling was the V.  The
one I liked least was a III because no matter what handling drill I attempted,
there was always a double exposure on every roll or two.  Once I lent it to
someone with the faint hope it might not be returned, but unfortunately, it
was.  Actually, that took place during this event, my photos of which now on
display as part of an exhibit at the Ohio State University Tompkins Library.
Although I had the Rolleicord with me, I used a Kodak Retina IIa 35mm for
everything, so was willing to farm out the ‘cord for the occasion.

The exhibit:

http://library.osu.edu/innovation-projects/omeka/exhibits/show/civil-rights

my Selma to Montgomery photos:

http://library.osu.edu/innovation-projects/omeka/exhibits/show/civil-rights/sections/selma-to-montgomery-march

About the photographer, pix, slideshow, etc.

http://library.osu.edu/innovation-projects/omeka/exhibits/show/civil-rights/sections/item/195

The web site is a little clunky, but the exhibit itself looks pretty good.  To
be honest, my part of it was shoehorned into a presentation that was basically
about events and movements culminating in the 1964 Civil Rights Act.  My pix
were from the 1965 Selma to Montgomery march that resulted in the Voting Rights
Act, but hey, their decision, and I’m all for the exposure.  They did a good
job of presentation, I believe, although the prints and slides look much better
in the original.
Some of you have seen these before, I believe.

Allen Zak