[rollei_list] Re: The Photographic Reality

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:37:42 +0000

On 23 Feb 2010, at 06:14, Mark Rabiner wrote:

But 5x7 sheetfilm will probably be the first to go.
You'd need to be cutting down 8x10's.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Where there is a demand, there will be product. I still have about sixty sheets of half plate which I bought from MACO a few years ago, at least fifty
years after the format died.
Laurence Cuffe

Is plate the same as glass plate?
I hear Tmax 400 is still made in glass plate.
Mainly for some astronomy shooting I think. But don't know.
I'd not like to part from this planet without ever shooting a glass plate.
I'd just not feel right in the netherworld.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Half plate is (4.75" x 6.5") and I was using sheet film. I bought it from Mr CAD in London, who now stock an EFKE product at 25 and 50 ASA. This was for a holiday in france, where I had an old woody camera from the turn of the century, and was using three plastic tuber-ware boxes in a changing bag to develop the sheet film. It was very civilized. I was sitting outside our chalet as the dusk fell watching the sunset light dropping over the ruins of the moorish village at the mouth of the Ardeche gorge and shuffling sheets inside the changing bag at the same time. A glass of a nice red from the market in les Vans at my right hand, Duck breast marinated in chestnut paste and juniper berries quietly sizzling on the grill. Proof prints were contact printed in a picture frame using the room light once it got really dark

You know what? Photography isn't always about the image, some times its just the whole experience that counts.

All the best
Larry Cuffe

Mr CAD are good for oddball film sizes, they supplied me the 16"x20" for my agfa repromaster, mark 3. Glass plates are a PITA. I've shot some in the back of an old polaroid swinger camera, but unless you get all your solution temperatures matched up just right the emulsion frills like crazy.