[rollei_list] Re: The Photographic Reality

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:59:32 -0500

On Feb 20, 2010, at 3:29 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

At 01:18 AM 2/20/2010, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Also Yul Brenner and Sammy Davis Jr. never stopped clicking their shutters. They shot everything and everybody. All the time. You're bound to get some
good ones out of all that.

The Photo Editor of the Baltimore NEWS-AMERICAN
told me in 1975 that, "film is cheap:  the
picture is priceless".  He probably stole the line, but it is true!

Marc

""film is cheap" is a big thing I was taught early on and what a lot of
photographers are taught. It makes a big difference to not skimp on film.
Now of course it cost relatively nothing to click hundreds of shots of
something but lots of people don't do that and they end up with maybe not a
solid shot. The more I have to choose from the better the final take is
going to be.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Still, I can't get over the notion that "film is cheap" is actually a sneaky campaign by Kodak to promote overshooting. My bent in this matter took form when, as a teenager, I was trying to feed a 35 mm camera with Kodachrome out of my 50¢ per hour after school job. I used to load my camera in the dark to squeeze an extra two exposures out of the roll by not winding leader. Every exposure had to count and the discipline was invaluable. When eventually there were clients picking up the expense, I still used film sparingly. I believe the number of exposures made should meet the requirements of the subject. That can be a gazillion or 12 (24 if you are using 220,) depending. Anything over leads to sloppy visualization.

Allen Zak