[rollei_list] That JSK Xenar

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:11:22 -0400

At 01:33 PM 9/23/05 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   Up to WW-2 Schneider seems to have made low price lenses.
>While they had a few original types they mostly built
>existing designs where the patents had expired.

Richard

This really is not the case, as a quick examination of your copy of THE
LENS COLLECTOR'S VADE MECUM will show.  Schneider was always interested in
the production of quality lenses and did so with some prominence before the
outbreak of the Second World War.  In fact, circumstances had reached a
level where Schneider was forced to establish a second factory in 1937 for
the production of less-capable lenses, the ISCO (I for J:  Jospeph
Schneider Company) works at Göttingen and even that plant was called on to
produce quality lenses during the War such as the lens used on the camera
which would become the progenitor of the Hasselblad MF SLR.

I will concede that the Zeiss lens mavens regarded Voigtländer as their
principal rivals in those Prewar years but they were must anxious to keep
Schneider out of the marketplace.  It was only the falling-out between Dr
Nagel and the Zeiss Foundation which gave Schneider an opportunity to sell
first-class lenses for a first-class camera, the Kodak AG Retina.  Records
to confirm this no longer exist but I would suspect that Zeiss did
everything in its power to keep Schneider from selling to the likes of
Franke & Heidecke.

Schneider was part of the consortium which produced the Xenon lens for the
Leica camera in 1935, along with Taylor, Taylor, and Hobson and Leitz.  I
will cheerfully acknowledge that this lens was not as capable as was the
CZJ Sonnar, but the design was still a solid design and would survive in
various forms into the first version of the Leitz Summilux in 1962, not a
bad record.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!