[rollei_list] Re: Testing

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:01:15 -0600

At 06:10 PM 1/25/2014, Richard wrote:

I highly recommend Raymond Chandler's 'Red Wind'
for a user description of the Santa Ana climate effects.

Marc

I remember that during my medical software days I had a client in the California Desert (Brawley was the town) Imperial Valley Surgery Center was the client.

They were an outpatient surgery center. The head doc always mentioned their high workloads on Saturday night. He called it "The Saturday Night Knife and Gun Club".

For those who don't know Brawley, it's sort of a combination farm and cowboy town.

     Turns out its on-line. At:

http://www.design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Red_Wind-Raymond_Chandler.html

and maybe elsewhere.  The famous opening is:

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

A book I recommend to people who like this stuff is "Killer in the Rain" a paperback collection of early Chandler short pulp stories that he would never allow to be reprinted during his lifetime because he had used parts of them in his later novels. The stories are for the most part very good and, to me at least, have an economy and power that is mostly lost in the expanded versions of the scenes in the novels. He was not a prolific writer; I think fewer than twenty short stories and a handful of novels. Neither was another favorite writer, Dashiell Hammett, who wrote relatively little stuff especially compared to writers like Earl Stanley Gardner and many penny-a-word pulp writers who wrote bushels of stuff. But the quality is unsurpassed. The plots don't matter for either author, its the scenes and dialogue; you can read them over and over and they don't loose their edge. I have no favorite Hammett storey but I think his best is probaby "The Glass Key" which is is closer to a straight novel than a detective or crime story.
   I can write quite a bit about both of them but its all OT here.
I also suggest "The Little Sister" for a sample of Chandler. Probably not his best but full of quotable lines like "You can live a long time in Hollywood without seeing the part they use in the movies". My test to see if someone has read Chandler is to say "I hope you don't mind riding in an old car" The answer is "Who am I to sneer at an old car?"

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles