[rollei_list] Re: Testing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:33:33 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 3:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Testing

At 04:50 PM 1/24/2014, Richard wrote, in part:
Thank you all who responded. I just thought it was time to check everything. I think a lot of folks have both amateur radio and photography as a hobby. I happen also to like "boatanchor" radios, that is, large vacuum tube stuff, probably goes along with my interest in large-format cameras. Its gotten very difficult for me
to manage either.

I have to admit that when I left College I left my system there in the attic of the frat house - It was all surplus equipment and of no future value. I also left a little 1 watt transmitter that let me hook up with a guy in NY from Oklahoma. I further admit that when I had to recover all my dad's stuff from Arizona I simply left his
receiver there.

Once I got out of the navy I had a little 10 meter mobile activity in North Hollywood but finally dropped all ham activity since I got my radio/electronics fix on the job. No fun simply talking to some guy when the main topics of the conversation were how much power he was using, what kind of antenna he was using, etc. When I moved to the San Diego area to work on the Atlas I designed missile tracking systems. The microwave frequencies we worked so hard to deal with are now the same as clock frequencies of some home computers.

Still working on my book but in it I note that most of what I did at any time was based on technology or components that didn't exist even
a year earlier.

My first real-life engineering project was to design a solid state telemetry component. I started by buying a book on transistors,
having never seen one before then.  Things do change.

DAW

Depending on what you had it might be worth a lot now. There are a couple of mailing lists dedicated to WW-2 and later surplus equipment. At the time most of it was sold at give-away prices and lots of it was seriously modified. It was so cheap it was used as building blocks for home projects. Now ARC-5 sets that are relatively intact go for very high prices. What we didn't understand at the time was that a lot of military gear was very well designed and extremely well built. I still have a little in storage and will dig it out if and when I have more room. This is all very OT here, its difficult to find a photographic equivalent to the military stuff. Most military photo equipment was just commercial stuff with different labels if even that. I am not including aerial cameras and mapping equipment here since some of that was pretty special.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles