[rollei_list] Re: Test Message

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:06:18 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <Sacsu@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:32 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Test Message

Got it! Whatever happened to the Shadow?

Sam Anson/NJ

I don't know the last year it was on but Mutual gave up all entertainmemt programs in 1960 and concentrated on sports and news as a programming service. It also changed hands. Mutual was a partnership of five large broadcasters. I am not sure who bought it but the headquarters moved from WOR in New York to Chicago. _The Shadow_ was Mutual's most popular program. It had a sort of false start on CBS in the early 1930's but became established as a Mutual show c.1935 with Orson Wells playing the shadow and Agnes Moorhead as Margo Lane. These were rather sloppy shows because he reportedly never showed up for rehearsals. I also heard one early show were a police _boat_ stopped with a tire squeal. The _Shadow_ I remember was Brett Morrison, I no longer remember who played Margo Lane.

Opening
Theme: Omphales (sp?) Spinning Wheel (organ)
Shadow: (on filter mic)"Who knows what evils lurk in the hearts of men? The SHADOW knows"... (shadow's laugh). Narrator: The SHADOW, a mysterious character who aids the forces of law and order is, in reality, Lamont Cranston: wealthy man about town. Years ago, in the Orient, Cranston learned the strange and mysterious secret of how to cloud mens minds so they can not see him. His friend and companion, the lovely MARGO LANE is the only person who knows the identity of the invisible shadow. Now today's story...

Closing (theme and under) SHADOW (on filter) "The weed of crime has bitter roots; crime does NOT pay; the SHADOW KNOWS... (laughs). (organ out)

Announcer:  This is MUTUAL, the world's largest network.

This is the opening and closing used in the later programs. The earlier elements were similar but it evolved and was simplified with time. The sponsor for most of the Shadow's run was Blue Coal, a trade name of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western railroad who were also in the coal business big time. They sponsored the show coast to coast although Blue Coal was sold mainly in the Northeast. I wonder how much coal the Shadow actually sold. They were reportedly a very loyal sponsor.
  "Margo, I think its time for a visit from the SHADOW".

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx