[rollei_list] Re: Tessar vs Sonnar

  • From: "Richard Sintchak" <rich815@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:46:52 -0700

I have not used any of the Rollei 35's with the Sonnar lens.  I only have
the 35T with the Tessar.  As I mentioned my Contax T2 has a Sonnar and I'm
not sure if it's identical to the performance on gets with the 35's Sonnars
or not.  I do know that as much as I like the images I get from my T2 and
it's Sonnar I find it almost too sharp and contrasty at times and prefer in
many cases, especially for B&W work, the character and rendition I get from
the Tessar on my 35T.

So many times people equate a lens' performance with sharpness as to which
is "better".  To me that's ludicrous because, while a strong degree of
sharpness is good, in general it's only one aspect of a lens' character.  I
find, for example, the Canon 50/2.8 Leica thread-mount lens to be very sharp
but for me lacking in certain character compared to my 50/2 Summitar and
50/2 Summicron DR.  So I sold it.

Richard

On 5/12/06, Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry, Jerry, forgot the smiley - I wasn't trying to be that rude!

However, I think it's the first time I've heard that view advanced. I've
not really shot on a Tessar-lensed 35 - both of mine have Sonnars - but I
guess that if you stop down to f8, a normal enough practice on a 35, there
probably isn't a lot of difference. I have to say that I like the
performance of the Sonnar very much indeed, but I know from my 'Flex Ts that
the Tessar can be an exceptionally competant lens.

Nick