[rollei_list] Re: Tessar vs Sonnar

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:18:33 -0400

Hi Jerry - I don't know about "better" but I think it is hard to argue
that the Sonnar is a more highly corrected lens than the Tessar. The
lens designer has several additional degrees of freedom with which to
work...

Of course on this list saying something is difficult to argue is the
kiss of death ;-)

Eric Goldstein

On 5/12/06, Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I stand corrected Nick as I meant to write Rollei 35s . But, the sonnar is still little better than the tessar for general photography. Some have argued that unit focusing (35s) is better than front element lens focusing (35) and perhaps this accounts for the sonnar's better closeup performance.

Jerry F.