[rollei_list] Re: Tessar vs Sonnar

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:58:25 +0000 (GMT)

Yes Eric, I was writing from memory and I was not sure
about the Sonnar redesign; now I have the book, page
53; Rollei had to start again, almost from scratch,
the lens (Sonnar) was recomputed by Carl Zeiss with
satisfactory performance over the entire focusing
range "commensurate  with its more sophisticated
optical design".
Richard Weiss, Rollei technical manager, said that the
failure about the first Sonnar prototype left Rollei
in a precarious position with considerable losses, in
the future even lenses from Carl Zeiss would be tested
earlier and more critically "we have learnt our
lesson".-

All the best
Carlos
 --- Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
> > Jerry, I told the story about the Sonnar for the
> > Rollei 35 s,Rollei had an annoyance with Zeiss due
> > the first Sonnar prototype development for the 35.
> > Zeiss said to Rollei the Sonnar prototype with
> front
> > element focusing worked very well before to
> deliver
> > the prototype to Rollei an then Rollei developed a
> > complet camera prototype with a focusing system
> > similar to the Tessar version trusting in Zeiss,
> when
> > Zeiss delivered the Sonnar prototype and Rollei
> tested
> > it in the camera prototype, the results were a
> > disaster, only at infinity the Sonnar matched the
> > Tessar performance, for closer distances the
> Tessar
> > was better than the Sonnar clearly, the front
> element
> > focusing killed the Sonnar. Rollei needed to
> develop a
> > new complete focusing system to improve the Sonnar
> > performance and lost money and time; they
> developed a
> > focusing system to focus the Sonnar as unit and
> then
> > the Sonnar had better performance than the Tessar,
> > Rollei technical management had a great deception
> with
> > Zeiss.
> > I read it in the book "Rollei 35, a camera
> history" by
> > Prochnow.-
> >
> > All the best
> > Carlos
>

> Absent from this story is the fact that the lens
> would have had to be
> redesigned as well. Front cell focusing and unit
> focusing designs are
> quite different, requiring different prescriptions
> and yielding
> different compromises. Not every design lends itself
> to front cell
> focusing, and I did not know that the Sonnar is one
> which does...
> perhaps not after all...
>
> Eric Goldstein

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

> with
> into www.freelists.org

Esa persona especial te espera en Yahoo! Encuentros.
¡Dejate encontrar!
http://ar.encuentros.yahoo.com/