[rollei_list] Re: Tessar vs Sonnar

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:22:07 -0400

Richard Sintchak wrote:

I have not used any of the Rollei 35's with the Sonnar lens. I only have the 35T with the Tessar. As I mentioned my Contax T2 has a Sonnar and I'm not sure if it's identical to the performance on gets with the 35's Sonnars or not. I do know that as much as I like the images I get from my T2 and it's Sonnar I find it almost too sharp and contrasty at times and prefer in many cases, especially for B&W work, the character and rendition I get from the Tessar on my 35T. (snipped)

Richard -

You and I may be the only two people in the world that are not contrast-crazy but I have exactly the same experience with the T2. That Sonnar has very high contrast, too much for my taste in many situations. When shooting chromes on that camera film choice is critical; the old Velvia 50 was out of the question and neither would I shoot Plus-X with it...

It is a wonderful camera to shoot under low contrast/overcast conditions and with the right emulsion...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List