[rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:33:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 10:09 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

Richard,

I hate to quibble (he lied), but the fast Ektar lens for the Miniature Speed Graphic was f3.7, not f3.8.

According to experts it was the same glass as the Medalist 100mm f3.5 AND the first Hasselblad 80mm f2.8. Different glass element spacing, but I find it hard to reconcile that.

Jerry Lehrer

Yes, f/3.7, my memory is not always exact. I doubt its the same glass elements with only a change in spacing. If someone has both they could perhaps measure element diameters which might answer the question (or not). Element spacing is important to the corrections. This was a deluxe lens intended to have extremely good performance. Both are variations of the Heliar based on a patent By Altman of Kodak. The same basic design was used in the Kodak Enlarging Ektar of 50 and 75 mm focal lengths and some other lenses. The whole Ektar series was designed to have very good color correction to promote the use of color film, from which Kodak made a lot of money. The Commercial Ektar is very nearly apochromatic.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles