[rollei_list] Re: Tanks and Reels

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:21:02 -0400

Or, just close your eyes before loading film.

;-)

Allen Zak

On Aug 22, 2006, at 3:09 PM, Jim Brick wrote:

You said changing BAG, so if it really is a bag, you might consider:

http://tinyurl.com/hej7q

to give you the freedom you need to deal with stubborn reels.

Jim

At 02:57 PM 8/22/2006 -0400, Craig Roberts wrote:
I surrendered my traditional darkroom in favor of a changing bag when I switched to digital printing. In fact, I offered the room to my wife as an office/workshop (she makes jewelry) to help prevent being scolded about my acquistion of an expensive Epson scanner and printer and the inks that go with it. (These inks are the only liquid I know of that are more expensive than single malt scotch and premium grade gasoline).

This was not a good decision. It is impossible to make any room of my house dark enough for bag-free tank loading during daylight hours. I can either wait untl nighttime (which is awkward at times) or use the bag -- and with Paterson equipment this is a "reel" challenge. Eight times out of ten everything's fine but then -- for no apparent reason -- there's that really stubborn roll (usually TMAX) that refuses to cooperate; curling, binding, falling off the reel. Not only does a changing bag restrict one's increasingly aggravated movements, it also lets in LOTS of light during the thrashing. I lost half a roll of 120 a few weeks ago through changing bag light leakage as I struggled to load a Paterson reel repeatedly. I had travelled 300 miles to take the photos. Arrrghhh!

"Tanks" to the advice given here today, I've just ordered a couple of Hewes reels and a tank from Adorama. I appreciate the shared wisdom.

Craig
Washington, DC

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List