[rollei_list] Re: TLR

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:48:46 +0100

Hi Marc,

thanks for the info. I had a closer look at it today and cleaned it up (cosmetically, a damp cloth over all the dust and a careful cleaning of lens and finder screen), it's a little jewel. I've never used a TLR before, but it's a marvel of ingeneering. Very compact, lightweight but with the solidity of controls one finds with a Mercedes automobile.

Unfortunately, I managed to break off the little pin on the front bottom that the back locks onto. I'm not sure how, as I was very careful when opening it, it appears to be of brass. I suppose it will need to be drilled out and replaced with a new part.

The shutter and aperture dials are silky smooth, all shutter speeds appear to work and seem precise (as far as I can ascertain without measuring equipment), including the slow ones. A nice touch is that the aperture is without clicks, you can set it whereever you want. The shutter seems to work in the same way, but I think I can hear definate clicks or steps as I change the setting. Very surprising considering it's been sitting on a shelf in a glass case for at least 20 (probably 30) years. I believe my friend paid around $75 for it some years ago.

After cleaning, I do see a few small "cleaning scratches" when looking though the lens from the open back (shutter on B), but nothing serious. No haze, fungus or signs of group separation.

The Taking (Zeiss-Opton Tessar 1:3,5 f=75mm) lens is Nr. 913174 (apparently with a T coating, judging from the red T marking).
The viewing (Heidomat 1:2,8/75) lens is Nr. 633608 (also marked with a red T).

From what I found at Rolleiclub.com, it was made as you say between '51 and '54. Judging from the serial number your guess as to year of manufacture would seem to be most reasonable.

Although I've heard (much) about Prochnow, I'm not familiar with his litterature. Are any of his references available online?
I'm not a collector, so I don't know if it would be overkill to buy his material.

I did manage to load a roll of Tri-X, so I'm looking forward to the results. I plan to try a roll of velvia too, and will compare to the 6008i2 I have (Schneider 80/2).

Cheers,
Thor

On 30. okt. 2005, at 01.37, Marc James Small wrote:

At 01:13 AM 10/30/05 +0200, Thor Legvold wrote:
I just got back from a friends who happened to have a Rolleiflex
Automat 6x6 Model K4A (as far as I can tell from the web - s.n. is
1287946 with a Zeiss-Opton Tessar (75mm/f3,5) and Heidosmat 75mm/f2,8).
It's a bit banged up, but my friend apparently bought it for next to
nothing many years ago and has never used it. I asked if I could try it
out for a few days...

So now I plan on cleaning the lenses (also got a load of filters, lens
hood, mirrored lens caps, leather case, etc) and running a roll or two
of film through it.

Any advice/tips/anecdotes about this particular model? Is it worth
having in the event he tells me I can buy it from him? I'm not a
collector, I want cameras I can use. I was thinking it would be nice to
have a TLR for snapshots and the like, as well as my 35mm Nikon. Not
anything I need, just curious...

Thor

"K4A" was the project designation used within Franke & Heidecke, the
so-called "Interner Name".  This is not a model designation per se.

This camera was marketed in the US as the Rolleiflex MX (Type 1), while it
was sold in the rest of the known universe as the Rolleiflex 3.5A.
Production dates ran from JUN 1951 through MAR 1954; I suspect that this
camera probably dates from 1952.

The most convenient method for identifying Rolleiflex TLR cameras,
incidentally, is to use the code number assigned them by Claus Prochnow in
his magesterial series of ROLLEI REPORTS. Your cameras is a PR 156/2.

I would appreciate the serial number from the lens for the Zeiss Lens List,
and also that from the Heidosmat. I can possibly tell you more about this
camera with those numbers on hand.

This camera is eminently useable and the Zeiss-Opton Tessar taking lens is
capable of outstanding results, especially from f/5.6.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505