[rollei_list] Re: TALES OF ANCIENT COMPUTERs

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:26:33 +0000

Wow! that is truly impressive!
I was the first person to use CAD and CAE in F1 racing. It took me an age to model the surfaces (that is when I learned to back-up often). We did not model the whole car then, just those areas where a 3-D model would allow us to reduce clearances in ways which would yield performance. The first car to benefit from this was the Williams FW11 of 1986. I used Calma and I-DEAS software at that time. Williams still use I-DEAS.
best regards,
Frank

On 12 Jan, 2009, at 19:57, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

BTW, I had an entire Lotus Europa digitized on the CADDS 3 system...