[rollei_list] Re: TALES OF ANCIENT COMPUTERs

  • From: "austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:33:29 -0500

Hi Peter,

At the time, which is the mid/late 70's and early 80's, CP/M was THE O/S
for microprocessors.  MS only had a BASIC interpreter at that point in
time. MS was courted by IBM for the BASIC only, and Gates told them he had
an O/S as well (which they didn't...I believe that's called lying), and
snookered IBM into giving them the O/S contract as well.  Gates went and
bought the O/S from someone else (Seattle Code Works for $50k if I remember
correctly).

So, CP/M went quite far, at the time...keep that in perspective.  That was
a different time, with a far different market.  Almost every S-100 bus
computer ran CP/M.

Can anyone say what CP/M stands for (off the top of their head, not by
looking it up)?

Regards,

Austin