[rollei_list] Re: T shutter jam, cont'd

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:12:38 -0700

Peter,

Ideal? Yes indeed! I used the square format in wedding photos to pay for 6 and 1/2 years
of college to pay for a bachelors degree an two masters degrees.

Jerry Lehrer

Peter K. wrote:
Sanders,

Don't you get it?! That is why wedding photographers for many years used square Sanders, they can crop it vertical or horizontal as needed. Or leave it square if desired. It was an ideal format.

Peter K

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sanders@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Ordinarily I would agree with you.  But when I am
    shooting a 3/4-length person, the square leaves
an awful lot of space on either side.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/2494312376/

    Of course it is possible to use arms and hands and
    posture to help fill more of  the frame and make the
    person look less like a stick:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/2355209130/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/2671412044/

    In the past my impulse has been to shoot these with
a 5x7 view camera:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/1402145874/

Recently I've moved to the T with the 16-frame mask, turned on its side, to shoot them:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/3436677435/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/3479890438/

    Though it sounds awkward, using a T on its side (on
    a tripod, of course) is actually quite easy.  And since
none of the people I photograph have ever been shot with a film camera before, let alone a Rolleiflex,
    they don't find it any weirder than being photographed
    with an upright Rolleiflex -- it's all alien to them.

Sanders