[rollei_list] Re: Surprised

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:56:01 -0500

On Monday, March 28, 2005, at 11:09  PM, Marc James Small wrote:

> At 11:14 PM 3/27/05 -0500, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:
>
>> Leicas and Rolleis do go together, but Leicas are frightfully
>> expensive compared with (old) Rolleis from eBay.
>
> Bunk, sir. I bought my first Leica, a IIIc with Summitar, for $100 and
> similar deals are certainly available today on eBay at not much more
> freight..

Yes, you are right about a Leica III (I was thinking of getting one
myself on eBay), but they are more properly paired off with
Rolleicords, not Rolleiflexes.

But try getting an M3 or higher - M4, M6, etc. - on eBay for anything
less than $1,000! I got a Rolleiflex D, equipped f/2.8 Xenotar, in
almost perfect working condition (only the sports viewfinder mirror is
missing) for US$255 plus shipping. I WISH I could get an M3 that
cheaply - I'd JUMP at the chance!

(You wouldn't be thinking of selling one of YOURS for that much, would
you ... ? Just hoping - against hope.)

> To be fair, compare the price of a used M6 and a used 2.8GX. The
> Rollei will cost quite a bit more than that M6.

True, but try comparing the price of an M3 to that of even a Rolleiflex
F on eBay. The cheapest M3 BODY ALONE (no lens!) went for over US$500
(check out
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=7501091262&rd=1> - I just
did a "completed listings" search on eBay).

> [...] apples to apples.

Well, there are Apples like the Red Delicious, and there are Apples
like my Titanium PowerBook, which costs FOUR THOUSAND times as much!

Cheers ;-)