[rollei_list] Re: "Sunny 16 Rule" (was: Hello (again), new Rollei TLR)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:32:26 -0400

On Friday, April 29, 2005, at 06:47  PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>> Marc, Jerry, I hate to display my depth of ignorance to such a global
>> erudite group, but what is the Sunny 16 exposure rule?
>> Sam Anson, NJ
>
> Simply that when using ISO speeds the exposure in bright sunlight is
> f/16 at a shutter speed equal to 1/ the film speed. So, for Plus-X
> (ISO-125) the exposure would be f/16 at 1/125th second. This works OK
> but one must decide what constitutes an average scene and what "bright
> sunlight" means.

One can get a very good idea of what the Light Value (LV) is by using
an exposure meter which has such a reading, without a camera. Just
point the meter at various scenes and check the LV. Then try to guess
the LV of scenes BEFORE looking at the meter. Look at the meter
AFTERWARDS, only to confirm your guesstimate. When you get good at it,
just guesstimate the LV without looking at the meter, and translate it
into Exposure Value (EV).

Remember that with LV and EV, if you open up one stop, the LV or EV
number goes DOWN one number. So if the correct aperture for a
particular scene guesstimated as EV 14 is f/11, for example, then for
f/8 the EV would be EV13.

To translate LV into EV, the procedure is simple:

If you are using film rated at ISO 100, then EV=LV

If you are using film rated at ISO 200, then EV=LV+1

If you are using film rated at ISO 400, then EV=LV+2

If you are using film rated at ISO 800, then EV=LV+3

etc.

Of course this also means that:

If you are using film rated at ISO 50 , then EV=LV-1

If you are using film rated at ISO 25 , then EV=LV-2

So - for example - if for a particular scene you want the photograph,
your guesstimated LV is 15, and you are using 400 ISO film, set the EV
to 17. Whereas if you are using 50 ISO film for the same scene, set the
EV to 14.

That's one of the great advantages of the MX-EVS and other Rolleiflexes
(like my 2.8D) which use the EV coupling lock between the shutter-speed
wheel and the aperture-setting wheel. Just use guesstimated EVs.

Cheers.