[rollei_list] Re: Subject: Re: TMax 100 Development - some Results

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:15:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Decher" <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:11 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Subject: Re: TMax 100 Development - some Results

Carlos and Richard,

Maybe you are right and I have uneven film development in my old Jobo 1000 tank with adjustable plastic reel. I do have a Kindermann 120 steel tank and even a nifty 120/35mm Honeywell Nikor "crank loading device" but never mustered enough courage to fiddle with center- loading 120 film onto a steel reel in complete darkness... ;-) But
maybe worth a try to see if I get more even development...

It might be worth sacrificing a roll of film to learn how to load the SS tanks but I don't think you really need to. All of the 120 size reels have something to anchor the film at the center. The older Nikor reels have a spring clip, not sure what the Kinderman has. In any case the trick is to get the film exactly parallel to the sides of the tank. You can do this by feel. Then, wind the film onto the reel without any pushing or pulling, it will just wind on. In fact, you can lay the reel on the table top and push the film onto it while it rolls along. The end of the film will just smap into the last grooves. Cup the end of the film slightly when clipping it onto the center. It may also help to trim the corners off the film, especially with 35mm although I seldom have to do this. SS tanks should be filled pretty full to elimnate surging, the liquid will still move enough for agitation. Kodak recommends filling the tank first and dropping the film into it. That is best for uniformity but you have to work in the dark. I usually just pour the chemicals in. Once filled smak the bottom of the tank on the bench a couple of times to dislodge any air bubbles and begin to invert and reverse it. Kodak recommends that small tanks be agitated continuously for the first 30 seconds and then for 5 seconds each following thirty seconds at the rate of about one iversion cycle per second. I have an old habit of swirling the tank once each inversion cycle. I have no idea if this is good or bad but I get pretty consistent results. I generally like to use developer that gives me about 8 to 12 minutes developing time. 8 minutes is sufficient to insure uniformity even of the agitation is not quite regular and longer than 12 minutes becomes boring. Now, having said all that I am surprized that a Jobo system is causing problems with uniformity since their long suit is just the opposite. However, I believe Jobo recommends a pre-soak. Try that and see if it helps. Unfortunately, Jobo's once superb customer support has dwindled to nothing.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA