[rollei_list] Subject: Friday Off Topic Question (Leica 90s)

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:56:00 -0400

Marc et al. :

I am on a similar quest. Would you stay away from the 90 Elmarits when it comes to 90 for Leica?
The 4/90 is a neat lens too. I guess if you shoot mostly 400 ASA or higherspeed B&W, it is a great choice. For chromes the f4 widest opening could be quite limiting.

Will you try the new Zeiss Ikon M mount 2/85mm Sonnar? I suppose it should bring up the 90mm frame on an M3.
It seems to be quite large. Wonder if Carl Zeiss, Oberkochen, sells enough of them t break even...
Jan

From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Friday Off Topic Question
Hmm. There are four versions of the 2/90 Summicron, the first version from
1957 (a small batch of 200 was made in 1953, but series production began in
1957), the second version from 1963, the third from 1980, and the current
ASPH lens. I have owned and used all of these, and currently own an ASPH
version. All are decent performers but the performance improves as the age
decreases, so getting one of the last pre-ASPH versions makes the most=
sense.
I've also owned an used every version of the 2.8/90 and 4/90 lenses except
for the current 4/90. I normally use a collapsible 4/90 on my M3 but I
have a bunch of other lenses in this focal range -- from a 2/8.5cm CZJ
Sonnar T to a pair of 4.5/105 Trinols -- and I will pick and choose as
circumstances require. The collapsible Elmar, incidentally, makes a really
useful lens for museum work, especially in well-lighted venues such as the
Smithsonian's aviation museum on the Mall in Washington.
Marc
msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!

--- Rollei List