[rollei_list] Re: Street photography with an old Rolleiflex (Vivian Maier)

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:00:48 -0400

Second that. This sort of thing happened to me constantly while trying to commit street photography with a TLR. Used to be a Rollei was good for unobtrusive photography because of indirect viewing, but since it has became a quaint antique (like me) it stands out too much. I can't remember a time in decades while toting a Rollei amidst the multitudes when I haven't been engaged in nostalgia by the elderly or curiosity from the youth. It used to bother me, but after all, prospective subjects have every right to interact, if they wish. A tintype operator on the street would certainly capture my attention.

As for the Vivian Maier photographs; I find them wonderful and have forwarded the URL to everyone I know who appreciates the art. Thanx, Dennis Purdy, for the great find.

Allen Zak

On Oct 15, 2009, at 12:51 PM, dnygr wrote:

A problem I have had with my Rollei when doing street shooting is that the camera draws too much attention. People are always coming up to me to talk about the camera. This is good insomuch that it shows how Rollei can generate interest, but it makes going about taking photos a tad more difficult. When doing street photography, I like to blend in, not stand out.

With my film and digital Leicas I don't have this problem.

Doug