[rollei_list] Re: Storage Media [OT] (was Re: Large Format...

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 08:13:03 -0500

Hi all,

> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:25:10 -0400
> From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Large Format film availability
>
> Michael Eric:
>
> Mark wrote that gold DVDs are supposed to be ok. They are not ok in
> any archival sense (and no, archival does not mean papyrus).

My "papyrus" comment was facetious, but was meant to imply that the term
"archival" typically applies to periods much longer than single-digit
years. So far, the only digital media meeting that criteria is
paper-based, hence the "papyrus" joke.

> The point is that burned media, no matter what they are made from, are
> unreliable. Taiyo Yuden media are regarded by many as the highest
> quality, and these are not fabricated from gold.

It would be a good idea for those who must depend on recordable CD or DVD
to research a little to understand the issues at hand. The primary reason
for recordable disc failure is typically the quality and contrast of the
coating layer, not that backing. These factors can affect the Block Error
Rate (BLER) of a recorded disc, and in that area the Taiyo Yuden media are
outstanding, with typically very low BLER. Recorders also impact the
reliability of recorded media. Even with top-quality recorders and media
there is an optimal intersection of burn speed and media speed rating. For
example, a 52x disc may be more reliable if burned at a lower speed on a
particular recorder. With some manufactures, this speed can vary from
batch to batch. Some predictions can be made regarding the longevity of
media by measuring its errors after burning, but this isn't a practice
that I see happening for those simply backing up their data.

[...]
> Again, we are very OT here and my goal is not to persuade anyone of
> anything... I just don't want an unsuspecting or casual reader of this
> list to take some bad advise and loose irreplaceable data.

In a day when much of photography involves digital files, even if film is
the original media, I as important to discuss the preservation of those
files as it is to discuss achieving archival quality of film or print
media. I understand that Marc may regard it as OT for this group, but this
isn't the first appearance of this subject on this list, either.

> Most of my information comes from personal interviews with the
> archivists at the Library of Congress, who recently completed a $40
> million study on how to take their treasures digital to make them
> available and not loose them.

Most of my information comes from extensive research into the issues at
hand and a couple of decades of personal experience in creating burned CD
masters for replication.

Best,

Neil