[rollei_list] Re: Stillson Wrenches and Zerk Fittings

  • From: FRANK DERNIE <frank.dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:44:33 +0100 (BST)

I was brought up in Lancashire in northern England.
The wrench you describe was referred to as a Stillson
on the farm FWIW. I have actually never heard such a
device called a pipe wrench, though there is a generic
English term which escapes me for the moment. Wrench
is actually an American term in England it would be
rarely if ever used. (Spanner is the UK word, often
used slang term "spaniard" in the motor racing
business, as in pass me that 12mm spaniard would you?)
FWIW
Frank