[rollei_list] Re: Step Up Ring

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:40:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:05 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Step Up Ring

At 03:30 PM 4/18/2007, Robert Lilley wrote:
>Marc,
>
>Just took you up on your Series VI adaptor idea and called Harrison and >Harrison in California. I ordered 5 filters, a lens hood and a Series VI to >bay II adaptor (in my case) in a matter of minutes as H&H will sell direct. >The filters are a laminate and are non-coated at about $25 each. I think >the hood and adaptor totaled around $20. I was told by one of the Harrisons >that H&H doesn't coat their filters because many of these items are >purchased by rental houses catering to the motion picture industry. >Apparently the coatings wouldn't stand up (I guess to the abuse).

H&H supplies Hollywood with filters.  The US
cinematographers do not like coated filters for
reasons which remain a bit obscure:  perhaps it
is just a matter of tradition.  They were quite
slow to adopt coated lenses and only did so when
Kilfitt supplied most of the non-standard stuff
in the 1960's and 1970's and simply refused to do
special runs of uncoated lenses.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

I would like to know the source for thisstatment. TT&H supplied most of the lenses used in Hollywood from about the early 1930s until Bausch & Lomb began to make the Baltar series about 1950. AFAIK, all the B&L lenses were coated and those made by TT&H after WW-2 seem to have been coated. TT&H made coated lenses for Technicolor for use on their three-color cameras and also for projection from the mid 1930s when the three color version of the process originated. _When Gone With The Wind_ was first released Technicolor sent coated projection lenses to theaters for use in showing the film. There was a handbook of instructions for setting up the theater sent around with the movie. It specifies the threater lighting and projection techniques. The Motion Picture Academy has a copy and there may even be one on line. In any case, I've never heard that Hollywood was conservative about lenses although everything was pretty thorougly tested before using it on features. Many D.P.s had their own collection of special lenses. Its possible some D.P.s may have not have liked coated lenses but in general they seem to have been pretty standard by about 1950. BTW, one of the early experimenters with lens coating was Radio Corporation of America. They were interested in the use of coated lenses for photographic sound recording and possibly also for optical printers. The research at RCA appears to have begun in the mid 1930's.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx