[rollei_list] Re: Step Up Ring

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:05:25 -0400

At 03:30 PM 4/18/2007, Robert Lilley wrote:
>Marc,
>
>Just took you up on your Series VI adaptor idea and called Harrison and
>Harrison in California.  I ordered 5 filters, a lens hood and a Series VI to
>bay II adaptor (in my case) in a matter of minutes as H&H will sell direct.
>The filters are a laminate and are non-coated at about $25 each.  I think
>the hood and adaptor totaled around $20.  I was told by one of the Harrisons
>that H&H doesn't coat their filters because many of these items are
>purchased by rental houses catering to the motion picture industry.
>Apparently the coatings wouldn't stand up (I guess to the abuse).

H&H supplies Hollywood with filters. The US cinematographers do not like coated filters for reasons which remain a bit obscure: perhaps it is just a matter of tradition. They were quite slow to adopt coated lenses and only did so when Kilfitt supplied most of the non-standard stuff in the 1960's and 1970's and simply refused to do special runs of uncoated lenses.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!