[rollei_list] Re: Spinning front taking lens and postings

  • From: Ruddy Roye <leicauser503@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:09:35 -0500

I might try that one. It seems to be the clearest of all the advices so far:-)
However, OBI one did say that the force in my fingers was too weak and that I needed to meet with the council for further diagnosis.
I did try the scotch tape, but my lens was too big and so the tape could not fully go around the circumference. The Japanese tape proved too weak so I am right back at square one.
Now, since I am lost can someone tell me what is going on


On Dec 28, 2005, at 12:16 AM, Don Williams wrote:

At 11:30 PM 12/27/2005 -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 12/27/2005 11:04:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

At 10:52 PM 12/27/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Yes it is the front element.
But two cameras, in two different places.  One is mounted on a flash bracket the other I have in my bag.  they are both rotating.
Are you able to stop them with your finger? If so, the force is weak and you can ignore it. 

If you can't stop them with your fingers, you need more advanced advice from Richard.

It may even be beyond the powers of Richard, in which case you should turn to Marc, who is an expert in esoteric phenomena.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA

Your cameras may be channeling Man Ray or Marcel Duchamp.  This is getting good!
I decided to do more investigation and found the same thing happening to a couple of my cameras, and also to a lens that wasn't even mounted on a camera. 

I was able to stop the process by putting some clear scotch tape across the lens and around the sides of the mount.  I haven't done any optical tests yet but was careful to avoid any finger prints, and picked very clear tape. 

I would suggest that if anyone has to resort to this solution that they use the old fashioned "Scotch" tape which is very clear, not the so-called "transparent" tape which is actually frosted so it doesn't show on paper.  The best tape is the kind used by Japanese and Chinese manufacturers to close up plastic covers for lenses, printers, and other electronic stuff.  It's pretty narrow, very clear, and strong enough for this application.

Don Williams
 La Jolla, CA

Portrait and Editorial Photographer

Rollei List

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

- Unsubscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

- Online, searchable archives are available at

Other related posts: